As a system integrator, Lakota combines commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS), government-off-the-shelf (GOTS), open source, and/or custom developed components into a fully functional system. Lakota has adopted the use of Enterprise Integration Patterns to solve some of the most complex integration issues.
With a broad range of capabilities through the systems/software development life cycle, Lakota is able to plan and implement systems from concept through deployment, operations, and maintenance. In addition, with our enterprise application software (EAS) expertise and in-depth knowledge of emerging technologies, we can ensure that the new development efforts will remain relevant by the time they are deployed. Lakota stands out from the rest because we do not believe in overcomplicating problems to drag schedules out or to create more positions to obtain more revenue. When it comes to system development, it is proven that smaller teams function far more efficiently with less defects than the larger teams. Unlike the rest, we are able to build higher quality systems with far less personnel, less defects, and a shorter time to operations. This equates to a more stable system overall.
Lakota implemented a large Web Based Remote Examination (WebREx) system for a West Virginia-based company that provides secure remote biometric examination from any computer with an Internet connection. WebREx has been used across the U.S. to support biometric identification services for various projects and programs. Lakota designed and developed this system from concept to fully operational in less than six months. This included the client Graphical User Interface (GUI) application, the server application, the communication infrastructure, and the centralized database. Lakota integrated many open source components, libraries, COTS components, and many custom developed components to produce a low cost—but highly reliable—system for our customers.
WebREx has maintained an extremely low defect density and a very high availability since it was deployed in 2009. Throughout the development process, we implemented several innovative solutions to identify issues before they happen. Lakota continues to follow agile processes to ensure that when issues or new features are needed, they can be rapidly implemented and deployed to the operational system. We have also adopted DevOps as part of our working methodology to ensure there are no gaps in communication between engaged verticals. It is very important to us that there is strong communication between all participants from the beginning of a project through its completion.
- Full-system life cycle; requirements, design, implementation, system testing, legacy data migration, deployment, and operations & maintenance
- Large-scale highly available fault tolerant multimodal biometric identification systems
- Facility/Plant automation systems
- Disaster recovery systems
- 541511 Custom Computer Programming Services
- 541512 Computer Systems Design Services
- 541513 Computer Facilities Management Services
- 541519 Other Computer Related Services
- 541690 Other Scientific and Technical Consulting Services
- 541712 Research and Development in the Physical, Engineering, and Life Sciences (Except Biotechnology)
- 541990 All Other Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services
Custom Design & Development
Lakota custom designs and develops new systems, as well as redesigns and implements legacy systems into a modern architecture. At Lakota, custom software development means providing enterprise-level technology that solves business problems by bridging the gaps between business vision and technology.
For a grant with the National Institute of Justice, Lakota was presented the challenge of providing ABIS-like capabilities on a very low budget for a research effort. In order to overcome this challenge, Lakota developed a framework around the NBIS open source fingerprint matching algorithm with a Cloud data store that paved the way for an affordable and innovative solution that is both quick and effective for research.
- Custom development with C/C++, Java, and ObjectiveC
- Database design & development with Oracle RAC, Cassandra, Hadoop, MySQL, and Postgres
- Cloud Software as a Service (SaaS) in the Google App Engine (GAE)
- Mobile development for iPhone, Android, and BlackBerry
- Systems integration and custom software components
- Software support and maintenance
- Enhanced system monitoring capabilities
Technical Consulting Services
Lakota provides experienced engineers to assist organizations from architectural design reviews to operations and maintenance. Our engineers are highly skilled and will provide instant value to your project regardless of the current life cycle phase or condition of the project.
One of our lead engineers is supporting the operations and maintenance of the FBI's Next Generation Identification system. He has provided critical software development and system support to ensure operational issues are addressed in a timely manner. Our services include: troubleshooting operational issues and making technical recommendations for issue resolution and system enhancements, designing and implementing system enhancements, implementing new capabilities and patches to resolve software/system defects, and providing technical support and advice to the Test Verification & Validation (TV&V) team, the Defect Review Board (DRB), and the Technical Review Board (TRB). In addition, our services supported two very large data migration efforts that have experienced a 700% improvement in performance.
- Integration of new technologies (e.g. cloud storage, cloud services)
- Enterprise architectures (i.e. Service Oriented Architecture, Enterprise Integration Patterns, Enterprise Service Bus, etc.)
- Software code analysis, security vulnerability and quality/maintainability reviews
- Software/System design and review support
- Software development support
- Database design and architecture
- Database administration
- Unit, integration, regression, performance and accuracy testing support
- Large scale data migration planning, tool development and execution
- Interfacing with FBI NGI web services (including RISC)
- Subject Matter Expertise
- Biometric Identification Systems (DoD ABIS, FBI IAFIS/NGI, FBI RISC)
- Morphotrust ABIS (f.k.a L1 ABIS)
- MorphoTrak MBSS
- Biometric standards (ANSI/NIST-ITL EFTS/EBTS)
- Google App Engine
- Enterprise System Interoperability
- Analysis of Alternatives